Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Gobble Gobble, Turkey Makes Me Wobble-My First “married” Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving has come and gone, but it won’t be soon forgotten. Why? Because this was my first holiday as a married man. (to check out more pictures of the wedding visit http://www.reflectingstone.com/slideshow-english.html ). There is always something about “the first” that makes it special. A child’s “first” step, “first” word, or “first day of school” are all milestones, just as this Thanksgiving is a milestone for both Erin and me. Think of some of the “firsts” in your life-typically they will conjure up a good laugh, a tear, or even a knee-slappin’ laugh until you cry moment.

One of my “firsts” that brings about the latter would be the first time that I drove a go-cart. You would think that a guy that loves NASCAR as much as me would be pretty good behind the wheel of one of these 50 CC karts. Oh, but not this guy. After taking a corner a little too sharp and cutting off my brother, he spun me, knocking my wheel off and sending me into the wall. After another small accident with a golf cart (the bridge jumped right out in front of me-I swear!), I earned the nickname “Crash”. I guess there is a first time for everything, hopefully in the crash department, it will be the last!


Well, I best get back to Thanksgiving and the wonderful time that Erin and I had together during our first holiday as a married couple. We started with a Thanksgiving feast for just the two of us. Erin cooked all day long and we had a wonderful spread of food. It could have fed 10 people…literally! We had a GOOD sized turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, stuffing, watergate salad, cheese and crackers, and even pumpkin pie for desert. The meal was delicious and I left the table wobblin’ from all of the turkey and fixings that I decided had to be eaten!

This did not deter me from gorging myself at our 2nd Thanksgiving, or our 3rd. It is a strange thing really. You know when to stop and feel great, but you just can’t do it. I guess a few extra pounds aren’t all that bad. Winter is approaching quickly, and who knows when you will get stuck in a sub-artic winter storm and have to survive on your body-heat. You put me up against a 150 pound stick-person; I’ll be nice and toasty while skinny over there freezes his little-self away. A second great reason for not caring about those extra few pounds…The Simpson basketball season is now in full swing. Those bleachers can get a tad uncomfortable if you don’t have some padding if you know what I mean! And the third reason, I can use a heavier bowling ball now! I went bowling with Erin, my brother, my sister-in-law, and my brother’s in-laws and I found the pins have a bit more action when you are wielding a 13 pound ball instead of an 8 pound “house ball” that I used back in the day! We had an absolute blast and I didn’t do all that shabby.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I did. I may have gained a few pounds, but heck, it has some great advantages. Now I can’t wait for the Christmas feasts!

GO STORM-

Andy

1 comment: